Today was the first day of my project management fundamentals course. It included these six unique characteristics which set project management apart from your normal day-to-day activities. I’m not sure who the original author of this particular list was, but I also found it as required reading for another project management course and a paper about information technology project management.
- Something must be done which has not been done before.
- The undertaking ends with a specific accomplishment.
- The required activity has a beginning, an end, and a schedule for completion.
- Resources are limited.
- Other people are involved on an ad hoc basis.
- Phases and activities are sequenced.
More details on each point are listed at the above linked sites.
“Before I built a wall I’d ask to know what I was walling in or walling out.”