March 11, 2010
2009 got busy with this-and-that, so this blog became stale. It’s a new year, and though we have not yet finalized our departmental or individual goals, there’s a lot going on this year at work.
In 2010, at work, plans include:
- Server refresh (hopefully with a lot of virtualization)
- New Citrix environment / upgrade
- Re-vamp intranet/website test server configuration
- Symantec upgrade
- SharePoint 2007 or 2010 deployment
- Altiris Management Suite deployment / configuration
- Disaster recovery project
- Information security project
- User training project
- SOX compliance process review
Those are the main things, composed of many many little things.
I hope to have more to post soon.
June 8, 2009
I’m working on our information security awareness training program, which will include Laptop Security for our road warriors. This is a brief collection of laptop security tips I’ve gathered for this purpose… let me know if you have any to add.
- Lock down your laptop with a security cable
- Use a laptop safe / locked briefcase to travel or store
- Use laptop motion sensors and alarm softeare
- Keep the laptop out of site, locked or in its bag
- Keep the laptop close at hand
- Keep an eye on the laptop
- Choose an inconspicious laptop bag – a school bag, backpack, padded briefcase or suitcase
- Protect your password, and choose your password wisely
- Store a minimal amount of data on the laptop
- Encrypt your data
- Use a screen guard / privacy screen
June 4, 2009
I’m working on some training curriculum, which includes Blackberry security for our numerous blackberry users, and I found an excellent list of security considerations:
While your VIP’s might not need that high a level of security, many of the tips still apply to casual and executive users.