Seems my days as desktop support are not over – I still have to troubleshoot problems on my own machines. I discovered this week that my Windows Vista Business (SP1) laptop would no longer connect to my wireless network at home. All other machines in my home network (XP, Vista, and 7) would connect, and I was able to connect to the wireless network at the training course I was at this week. The standard reboot or disable/enable of the network card was not working. The WLAN AutoConfig service is started. The behavior is the same in safe mode with networking.
Upon further investigation, I found that when I ran ipconfig at the command prompt, there were several entries for “Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection X” – X being a number. A google search revealed instructions for getting rid of these entries by removing the hidden ISATAP adapters from Device Manager. Apparently these are created because of caused by IPv4 and IPv6 tunneling issues.
This did not work. My search then led me to this post, suggesting that I disable IPv6 on the wireless network adapter. This, too, did not work.
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
I ran Microsoft’s Internet Connectivity Evaluation tool against my router and did not encounter any problems.
I tried editing the registry so that Vista would disable the DHCP broadcast flag. No dice – it just hangs on “Identifying” when trying to connect to a network.
I tried a bunch of things after that, but when it comes down to it, it looks like I’m going to have to start from scratch to get it working. 😦